CUP PROFILE: Malt and fig aromas lead to a thick shot with notes of fudge brownie, molasses and orange with a lingering finish.
WE TASTE: Candied orange aromas lead to notes of spiced raisins, Mandarin orange and cranberry with hints of dark chocolate and a wine-like finish.
OTHER: Traceable, Sustainable
Dose: 18-20 grams
Beverage Weight: 29-32 grams
Time: 25-28 seconds
Days Rested: 5-7
*Please note that adjustments to the above may need to be made to account for your equipment, climate, tamp pressure, basket size etc
Kenya NKG Bloom Nguvu comes from a handful of cooperatives in central Kenya whose members are enrolled in NKG Bloom. Their coffee is grown on the slopes of Mount Kenya and the Aberdares mountain range. Cooperatives encourage their producer members to pick only the ripest of cherries, which are sorted before being pulped. Instead of being discarded, pulp waste is used to produce fertilizer.
Parchment is fermented overnight before being washed and graded in P1, P2, P3, and P lights and pods. Subsequently, the parchment is dried on raised tables for 8 to 14 days.
NKG Bloom in Kenya
NKG Bloom offers several initiatives for better, sustainable coffees, including:
- giving producers have access to a trained technical services, including soil scanners. - although all cooperatives involved in NKG Bloom are helped to meet baseline social and environmental criteria, cooperatives are supported in meeting additional sustainability and certification goals (which often means receiving additional premiums for their coffee).
- improvements to factories’ infrastructure.
- various financing offers to farmers.
- increased access to inputs and seedlings, including the establishment of nurseries for coffee and diversification crops to help with food security.
- a digital management system. This includes inventory and transaction software that can be accessed from mobile devices, which gives producers instant and accurate information to make decisions and run efficient operations.
Origin photos by Interamerican Coffee