CUP PROFILE: Aromas of caramel and cacao. Bursts of Key lime, nectarine and florals with a silky mouthfeel and sweet finish.
COFFEE FOR A CAUSE: There are over 20 million victims of human trafficking with 68% in forced labor, 26% children and 55% woman and girls. To help bring attention to this, Barefoot Coffee Roasters will donate a portion of the proceeds of Limu to the Polaris Project.
Named after the North Star that guided slaves to freedom, Polaris systemically disrupts human trafficking networks and helps survivors restore their freedom, prevents more victims, and leverages data and technology to pursue traffickers wherever they operate.
MILL/VILLAGE: Shiberu Bedasso Washing Station, Agaro
ELEVATION: 1750-1950 masl
ROAST PROFILE: Light, complex
OTHER NOTES: Single origin, traceable, relationship
This special coffee comes from our decade-long import partner Dominion Trading (DTC) which seeks communities that want change, not a hand out. Some initiatives DTC has taken over the past 10 years in Ethiopia:
SOCIAL & HEALTH INITIATIVES
DIRECT SALE COFFEE INITIATIVES
- Provided health care training to nearly 1 million people resulting in significant reductions in infant mortality rates and malnutrition
- Coordinated disability projects, especially polio
- Provided training and empowerment to women and micro-businesses
- Helped widows and orphans with housing
PROP 65 WARNING
- Pay premiums to farmers for exceptional quality
- Facilitate training in pruning, stumping and composting
- Consult in quality improvement, process control and equipment efficiencies
- Enhance the awareness and implementation of environmental stewardship