WE TASTE: Stone fruit aromas lead to a juicy cup of orange, berries and vanilla with a wine-like finish that lingers on the tongue
ROAST PROFILE: Light
OTHER: Traceable, Sustainable
Kenya NKG Bloom Nguvu comes from a handful of cooperatives in central Kenya whose members are enrolled in NKG Bloom. Their coffee is grown on the slopes of Mount Kenya and the Aberdares mountain range. Cooperatives encourage their producer members to pick only the ripest of cherries, which are sorted before being pulped. Instead of being discarded, pulp waste is used to produce fertilizer.
Parchment is fermented overnight before being washed and graded in P1, P2, P3, and P lights and pods. Subsequently, the parchment is dried on raised tables for 8 to 14 days.
NKG Bloom in Kenya
NKG Bloom offers several initiatives for better, sustainable coffees, including:
- giving producers have access to a trained technical services, including soil scanners. - although all cooperatives involved in NKG Bloom are helped to meet baseline social and environmental criteria, cooperatives are supported in meeting additional sustainability and certification goals (which often means receiving additional premiums for their coffee).
- improvements to factories’ infrastructure.
- various financing offers to farmers.
- increased access to inputs and seedlings, including the establishment of nurseries for coffee and diversification crops to help with food security.
- a digital management system. This includes inventory and transaction software that can be accessed from mobile devices, which gives producers instant and accurate information to make decisions and run efficient operations.
Origin photos by Interamerican Coffee
CUP PROFILE: Hints of chocolate sprinkles lead to a nutty base with a smooth, creamy body and clean finish in this approachable, comforting coffee.
CUP PROFILE: Aromas of tropical fruit and delicate florals lead to a juicy cup of brown sugar, caramel and chocolate.
CUP PROFILE: Cinnamon and cocoa aromas lead to a velvety cup with notes of figs, caramel and vanilla in the finish.